Autism and its stress on the family
As a family with child(ren) with autism there are many factors that needs to be dealt with specially if the child is at the "low-functioning" stage and is also non-verbal. The factors can include the following:
- School system that is poorly equiped to educate the low-functioning child.
- Finding therapists for speech (ST), occuptional (OT), physical (PT), Music (MT) and so on.
- Finding one of more suitable habitational worker can involve interviewing, selecting, training and scheduling.
- Finding a DAN doctor for bio-medical treatment.
- Scheduling all the above activities into a weekly/monthly calender.
- Driving regularily to those therapies.
- Preparing special diets.
- Depending on the doctor, time is spent on giving supplements and medication.
- Dealing with the frustration that the child cannot communicate his/her needs and may also have severe sensory issues.
- Child in unable to use the potty and also requires feeding.
Juggling the care of the child with autism, the care of other children at home, and working (job) leaves very little time for anything else. All that can lead to a lot of stress on the family and on the marriage.
Dealing with stress in marriage